Subject: Photocopiers

Photocopiers

From: Rab Jackson <pr258rj<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
Hilary A. Kaplan <bm.gsk<-a t->rlg< . >org> writes

>What is the state of the art in photocopying machines for bound
>volumes?  I know that this question has been asked dozens of times
>(literally), but the COOL Archives shows the most recent query was
>February 1996 from Patrick Ravines, and I'm not sure anyone
>responded to his call for information. We are interested in a
>machine that will accommodate large volumes and high use.

We at the National Library of Scotland are currently using a Minolta
PS3000 scanner linked to a Di 30 Digital photocopier when copying
from bound volumes.  The PS3000 scanner has a book cradle which
supports the bound volume while copying.  This system allows copying
from bound volumes without having to turn the book over onto the
photocopier platen and risk damaging the binding. Volumes are
scanned face up and you have the option of producing the Recto,
Verso or a two page spread.  System also capable of enlargement,
reduction and duplex copying.

However the Minolta system we are using does have it's limitations
when it comes to large volumes.  Maximum size of volume that can be
copied is an A3 spread, maximum bulk of volume 100mm.  The Di30
digital photocopier is a mid to high use machine, we produce around
10,000 copies per month but the machine is capable of handling a lot
more. Suggest you speak to a representative from Minolta who will be
happy to give you exact copy volume figures.

Rab Jackson
Preservation Manager
National Library of Scotland

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 3, 1997