Subject: Detecting mold

Detecting mold

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
Nancy Child's suggestion of using 200-300nm UV as a means of
destroying mold hyphae is very interesting and I would like to know
if anyone else has information regarding the time required for
lethal exposure. Is anyone doing any testing?

Also, does anyone have information regarding effect on conidia? I
ask since they are especially difficult to kill. Moreover, even if
you kill them, I would imagine that they would continue to pose
respiratory problems.

It's probably also worthwhile to mention that short wave UV (usually
about 254nm) requires certain safety precautions. When I last dealt
with germicidal UV I recall that ordinary cotton lab clothing was
adequate protection for the skin, with cotton or rubber gloves used
on the hands. Special goggles were also used. In other words, if an
institution is going to experiment, please be sure to ensure that
you have adequate protection for your staff. Best,

Mike Trinkley
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664