Subject: Wax seals

Wax seals

From: Laura Binns <dougb<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997
I am currently working on a parchment document with an attached
pendant wax seal.  The wax dates to 1833 and has had numerous
repairs, conservation and otherwise.   It has been repaired with
what appears to be a soft, clear silicon which has since begun to
cloud.  When the repair was done the seal was also coated in the
"silicon".  The wax has since begun to deteriorate beneath the
coating and is leaving a powdery residue in the crevices of the
impression.  The silicon peels off easily, and since it has begun to
deteriorate, will flake off the wax when handled. There are also
plaster infills painted to match.  This piece is of great
significance to the collection and is to go on display in May.

I wish to remove the deteriorating silicon (it detracts from the
seal and is no longer a strong bond for repair). Is there any way of
repairing the seal after I remove the silicon?  What can I use and
is it readily available in Ontario in small quantities? Is there
anything I can use to infill, if I decide to do so, the missing wax
pieces?  I hesitate to go any further in the treatment then a
cursory cleaning if there is no way to repair it afterwards.  I
would rather have the seal in one piece than in many.

Laura Binns
Conservation Intern
City of Hamilton Museums

                  Distributed: Friday, March 28, 1997