Subject: Creep and labels for slides

Creep and labels for slides

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997
At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we are looking for labels
for slides in our slide library.  We have found that the labels we
used years ago tended to creep, with the result that adhesive
transferred onto the slide sleeves, and from there onto the
transparencies themselves.  We are now thinking of buying paper
labels from University Products (University Products catalog number
633-2520).  The adhesive, we are told by the manufacturer, is a
butyl acrylate resin.  It was tested for creep by the manufacturer,
who found good results under good conditions. Creep can occur,
however, with high temperature (does this mean they might creep when
exposed to the heat of the projector?) or high tension.  We were not
able to get an explanation of what "high tension" means, and we are
uncertain whether these labels will be satisfactory or will present
the same problem of creep.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone has had experience with these
particular labels, who can recommend a "creep-free" slide label, or
who knows more about the problem of creep in general. Thank you,

Karen Potje
Head of Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal, Canada

                  Distributed: Friday, March 28, 1997