Subject: Consolidants for wood

Consolidants for wood

From: Craig Deller <craig1708<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997
Flavia Philp <flavia<-a t->arphilp< . >demon< . >co< . >uk> writes

>Paraloid B72:

>    Good consolidant.  Can be applied with a syringe, pipette, thin
>    brush (depending on area to treat). Penetration is a problem and
>    it also depends on the solvent used:  this may evaporate too
>    fast or not allow the consolidant to flow easily, and should be
>    tested for suitability.
>
>    Residues on the surface are another problem.  They have a glossy
>    appearance and cause darkening of the wood.  They can also
>    affect application of finishes. Reversibility may be difficult.

I would like to add the the above statement that the solvent choice
is important. I have found that B-72 in diethylbenzene works very
well.  Due to the solvents very slow evaporation rate, it allows the
B-72 to penetrate deeply.

While any addition of a material can affect the visual appearance of
the surface, the diethylbenzene does not allow the B-72 to create a
gloss and minimizes any color shift.  For more about this see "A
Consolidation Treatment for Powdery Matte Paint" by Elizabeth C.
Welsh (AIC, 1981).

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group
Geneva, Illinois