Subject: Cool storage

Cool storage

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997
Nancy Purinton <Nancy_Purinton<-a t->nps< . >gov>, on behalf of someone who is
not on the Conservation DistList writes

>    We will soon construct a new permanent cool storage facility...
>    in Pondicherry, India.... The outside temperature
>    is usually between 30-35 degrees centigrade (95 degrees F) with
>    a relative humidity of 80% (sometimes 100% during the monsoons).
>    The temperature of the new cool storage will be 55 degrees F
>    (plus/minus five degrees); the relative humidity about 45
>    percent (plus/minus 2).

My family has a great deal of experience with fur storage vaults,
and I must point out that maintenance of the stated temperature and
humidity will be a challenge, especially in the climate as
described. A fur storage vault ideally provides 45 deg. F. and 45%
RH (usually in a climate which seldom reaches the heat or humidity
of India.)  The actual temperatures and RH achieved in a good
commercial vault are usually more like 50 deg. F and 55% RH, (when
everything is properly maintained)--often this is wildly off the
mark, and fluctuates dramatically.)

Over the past many years we have been called in (as cleaners) to
oversee many "disasters" in fur storage vaults--most of them were
professionally designed and constructed.  The potential for damage
in such a facility is great.

My immediate concerns would be: adequate design of the HVAC system
for humidity control (very challenging, and hard to find a
mechanic/engineer with experience at humidity control at this
extreme!), proper insulation (interior mould and insects can be a
problem), and the availability of a consistent source of energy to
maintain the environment (cold storage vaults are subject to severe
and rapid changes of environment when machinery fails.)

I have grave misgivings about this project, and would be happy to
respond privately regarding mechanical design, and HVAC
requirements.  I would also be interested in hearing from anybody
else on the DistList who has built, or is considering similar
storage facilities.

Jerry Shiner

                  Distributed: Friday, March 28, 1997