Subject: Faded ink

Faded ink

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997
Kathie Bordelon <kbordelo<-a t->mcneese< . >edu> writes

>Is there anyway to "bring out" iron gall ink on paper that has
>faded?

There are ethical considerations to treating "faded ink" on
documents, especially signatures which I am sure you are aware.
There are also some detrimental effects of the traditional
treatments to the supports, especially skin, but also paper.  I have
summarized the treatments and the long-term problems they possess in
an article in Radiocarbon, vol., 37, no. 1, 1994:21-32.  If your
library does not have the series, copies can be arranged by
interlibrary loan.

The often used term is "regeneration", but one needs to be sure of
the ink components before any attempt at treatment.  I would
recommend James G. Stroud's "Ink on manuscripts and documents", J.
of Forensics I think, he sent me a pre-publication copy and I
neglected to get the proper reference. Michael Snow and Tony Zammit
have published some useful articles on detection of iron used in
inks.

Many inks can be "intensified" once faded or reduced by washing, but
you must know the type of ink to develop an effective chemical
intervention.  Now and then I see the results of attempts by
collectors and restorers to "regenerate" faded ink where they have
daubed on tannic acid or oxalic acid all over a signature in the
vain effort to "save" it.  The results are disastrous.  In the last
analysis, application of tannic acid or tannins in any form could be
regarded as a type of forgery unless a complete chemical analysis
clearly identifies a precise goal of interaction with residues.  If
you would like to discuss this further you can reach me at
caldararo<-a t->aol< . >com.

Niccolo Caldararo
Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service