Subject: Cool storage

Cool storage

From: Nancy Purinton <Nancy_Purinton<-a>
Date: Monday, March 24, 1997
This is a message from someone who is not on the Conservation
DistList.  I will forward any responses to this query.

    We will soon construct a new permanent cool storage facility to
    protect our valuable manuscripts and microfilms from the
    tropical climate in Pondicherry, India. The outside temperature
    is usually between 30-35 degrees centigrade (95 degrees F) with
    a relative humidity of 80% (sometimes 100% during the monsoons).
    The temperature of the new cool storage will be 55 degrees F
    (plus/minus five degrees); the relative humidity about 45
    percent (plus/minus 2). This storage, which will be on the
    ground floor, will have central air-conditioning, the air being
    distributed through ducts; a separate air-handling unit with
    filters and a dehumidifier will help purify the air before
    blowing it into the storage area. There will be very little
    traffic in and out of the storage area.

    In addition to this cool storage room, there will be a buffer
    area in the basement of the building which will accommodate
    rooms for research, a small conservation lab and a small area
    for a computer, a scanner and a microfilm reader. A frost-free
    refrigerator will also be kept for the storage of films. The
    relative humidity of this buffer area will be similar to that of
    the cool storage, though the temperature will be about 65
    degrees F.

    We would like to know if the acid-free boxed manuscripts are
    best stored on open or closed shelving within the cool storage
    room, and of what material should the shelving be made?  Also,
    is there any chance that insects could enter the room through
    the ducts?  Both questions and advice will be very much
    appreciated.

Nancy Purinton
Paper Conservator
National Park Service