Subject: Storage of phonograph discs

Storage of phonograph discs

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447<-a>
Date: Friday, March 21, 1997
Susan Roberts-Manganelli <skrm<-a t->leland< . >stanford< . >edu> writes

>I am posting this for Phillip Prodger at <pbp20<-a t->cus< . >cam< . >ac< . >uk>,
>a colleague at Cambridge (UK)
>    some 20 pieces of antique recordings on 6" 78 RPM
>    gramophone discs (1920s vintage). They are on thick, brittle,
>    bakelite-type plastic.  Have you ever had any experience storing
>    this type of object?  Do you know if any of the archival
>    materials people in the States sell anything purpose built?
>
>    I have been working exclusively with Conservation Resources
>    here, as they are a British company & therefore easy to buy
>    from.  They don't have anything suitable. Any ideas?

Whilst the standard range of archival record jackets tend to be
designed for both 12 and 16 inch diameter material we can certainly
produce smaller sizes for the likes of Phillip Prodger's  6 inch 78
RPM phonographs. Both here and at our American office, Conservation
Resources carry the more popular popular sizes but will be happy to
provide samples and quotations for non-stock sizes. Suitable storage
boxes are already available for this format made from our proactive
MicroChamber(R) boxboard.

A new (1997/98) catalogue containing an expanded range of
chemicals,publications and general equipment will be released by the
British operation on April 4th. For those of you attending the
Institute of Paper Conservation's Conference Trade Fair in London
next month copies will be available from our stands.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
England

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 25, 1997