Subject: CD-ROM labels

CD-ROM labels

From: Jacob Trock <jacob.trock<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 25, 1997
Eileen McVey <emcvey<-a t->nal< . >usda< . >gov> writes

>I am seeking information regarding size, format, adhesives, paper
>type etc. for CD ROM labels for long term stability and storage on
>the disk. A number of our CD's are produced non-commercially.
>
>While the CD itself may last for quite a while, has anyone seen any
>data on aging studies regarding the label itself and the adhesive
>type used and its reactions to the disk (and maybe the data) over
>time?

Despite there is (as far as I know) no tests made with labels and
CD-ROMs, the general attitude among the people working with
permanence of CDs, is not to use labels.

If we are discussing mass produced CD's with aluminium as metallic
reflector there can be a risk of oxidation of the aluminium from
solvents, adhesives etc.

Worse might be the stress you induce on the disc when putting a
label on the disc. Change in climate and following different
expansion/ contraction in the label, adhesive, protection coat of
the CD etc. might in the end cause delamination.

If you ever have tried to stick a label on your CD and tried to
remove it, you will  know how easy it is to remove the protective
lacquer and metal from the disc. This also show you the other
problem with labels: It is extremely hazardous to remove labels from
CDs.

A thick label placed in one side of the disc can further give
problems in your disc drive. The balance of the disc can be
effected, and eccentricity can occur. Especially in disc drives
with high speed (10-16X) can give problems, in worst cases you wont
be able to read the disc.

As if this wasn't enough. But if you use large labels, they can make
the disc warp, especially if the label was set om i a humid
environment and used in a dry climate. Disc warp can give problems so
that the laser will deflect and not be returned correctly to the
reader.

All in all, don't use labels, Use felt-tip pens without solvents,
and write in the inner circle of the disc where there is no data
(diameter = 45 mm or less).

Jacob Trock
Master student
School of Conservation