Subject: Consolidants for wood

Consolidants for wood

From: Flavia Philp <flavia<-a>
Date: Monday, March 24, 1997
Ann Erkut <n6991598<-a t->buckscol< . >ac< . >uk> writes

>Further to our request for assistance in identifying a suitable
>consolidant for wood infested regional country chair c1840 does
>anyone have any information or advice on the use of the following
>three consolidants:
>    *   paraloid B72 - an acrylic polymer
>    *   xylamon LX hardening - Basilium an isocyanate prepolymer
>    *   Movitol - polyvinyl butyral - Butvar 98
>as regards suitability, penetration, application methods.

Paraloid B72:

    Good consolidant.  Can be applied with a syringe, pipette, thin
    brush (depending on area to treat). Penetration is a problem and
    it also depends on the solvent used:  this may evaporate too
    fast or not allow the consolidant to flow easily, and should be
    tested for suitability.

    Residues on the surface are another problem.  They have a glossy
    appearance and cause darkening of the wood.  They can also
    affect application of finishes. Reversibility may be difficult.

Basilium:

    Very good consolidant.  Can be applied as Paraloid B72.
    Penetration of the consolidant into wood easier than Paraloids.

    The end grain area can also be placed into consolidant for a few
    hours or until it has been absorbed by the whole piece of wood.

    Residues on the surface are not as big a problem as Paraloids.

    Finishing is generally not affected. Reversibility may be
    difficult.

Other consolidants:  Never tested.

Flavia Philp

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 25, 1997