Subject: Storage of phonograph discs

Storage of phonograph discs

From: Susan Roberts-Manganelli <skrm<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 1997
I am posting this for Phillip Prodger at <pbp20<-a t->cus< . >cam< . >ac< . >uk>,
a colleague at Cambridge (UK)

        **** Moderator's comments:   There is info on this topic in
        Conservation OnLine. Start with Gille St-Laurent's "The Care
        and Handling of Recorded Sound Materials"

    For the last year or so I've been working part-time as Archivist
    for the Department of Experimental Psychology here, packing and
    cataloguing scientific papers and photographs...  Today I
    received a small group of objects that I'm a little worried
    about--some 20 pieces of antique recordings on 6" 78 RPM
    gramophone discs (1920s vintage). They are on thick, brittle,
    bakelite-type plastic.  Have you ever had any experience storing
    this type of object?  Do you know if any of the archival
    materials people in the States sell anything purpose built?

    I have been working exclusively with Conservation Resources
    here, as they are a British company & therefore easy to buy
    from.  They don't have anything suitable. Any ideas?

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 20, 1997