Subject: Hardness of cuprite

Hardness of cuprite

From: Susan Belford <sagan<-a>
Date: Sunday, March 16, 1997
Thanasis Velios <natuk<-a t->aeas< . >net< . >gr> writes

>I am trying to find the hardness of the cuprite (Cu2O). I am also
>searching other mechanical properties of the same material.

On the scale of Hardness as defined by Mohs, cuprite ( Cu2O ) has a
hardness of 3.5 - 4 and has a tenacity of 'brittle'.

An excellent reference is "Dana's Textbook of Mineralogy" published
by Wiley, any edition.

Susan Belford
PO Box 1212, Fremantle 6160
Australia