Subject: Storage of oversize prints

Storage of oversize prints

From: Mary Todd Glaser <toddy<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 1997
Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a t->aol< . >com> reposts from Museum-L

>    From: Allison Smith <smitha<-a t->vmsb< . >csd< . >mu< . >edu>
>
>    We've recently acquired a large serigraph print, which is too
>    large for our flat file storage.  I am concerned about storing
>    it rolled in an archival tube, since the ink is so thick, I'm
>    afraid it may crack over time. Is this a true concern, or am I
>    being overly cautious?

I assume the serigraph is heavily inked if the museum is worried
about cracking of the media. I would advise rolling the print around
the *outside* of an wide diameter lignin-free tube (these tubes come
as wide as 12 inches) with the printed side facing out. I believe
paintings conservators recommend this with oil paintings to prevent
cracking. The rolled print will then have to be given a sturdy
wrapper that will block the light such as Perma/Dur heavy duty
folder stock (.02"). Good luck,

Mary Todd Glaser
Director of Paper Conservation
Northeast Document Conservation Center