Subject: Binocular microscopes

Binocular microscopes

From: James Druzik <jdruzik<-a>
Date: Monday, March 17, 1997
microscopes, I have the Meiji with trinocular head and dual
fiber-optic illumination which I purchased from Micro-Optics.  While
I can't compare it to the Olympus, it does compare favorably with my
old Carl Zeiss which cost (in 1978) six times more than the Meiji
does now. The Meiji is a good buy for small budgets and has
beautiful optics. What I would suggest is to spend a lot of money on
the stand.  I have a table mounted stand which is substantial but if
a lot of people use the microscope I fear it will prove to be the
weak link in the system.   When a microscope head this size, with
fiber-optics, plus a camera is at full extension on my system, the
stand needs a little help assisting it up and down the vertical
column.  This is not a problem looking at flat art where the
distance over the table changes very little, but with other items
you'll need to remember to slide the microscope closer to vertical
column before raising it.  Having said this--I'd buy another Meiji
in an instant.

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 20, 1997