Subject: Positions at Shelburne Museum

Positions at Shelburne Museum

From: Richard L. Kerschner <Shelcon<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 13, 1997
Shelburne Museum
Horse Drawn Vehicle Summer Work Project
Treatment of an 1870's  Albany Sleigh.

The Shelburne Museum is planning a Summer Work Project to treat an
important 19th century Horse-drawn Sleigh. The project will focus on
the conservation of an Albany Sleigh, which is ornately decorated
with gilded and painted surfaces.  The project will include
examination, microscopic analysis, paint consolidation, cleaning and
inpainting of the painted surfaces on the exterior.  We are looking
for objects or painting conservators or conservation students with
an interest in composite objects.

The various materials to be treated include: painted wood; painted
metal; gilded wood; and upholstery materials.  Those with a
particular interest in the problems associated with conserving
large-scale objects are encouraged to apply. This will be a team
project that will include a supervising conservator, project
conservators, and some volunteers.

In the past, we have worked in a large tent on the museum grounds
and found working outside to be very pleasant.  Museum visitors will
be passing by and asking questions about the project.  It's a nice
opportunity for the public to learn about art conservation and we
encourage interaction. We will also be using the conservation
laboratory as a support facility for analysis, report writing , etc.

The project will run for eight weeks and the starting time can be
flexible based on student's needs. Free housing is provided, as is a
stipend of $1100. Also, students are reimbursed for one round-trip
from their school at the rate of $.25 mile.

The Shelburne Museum is located in northwestern Vermont near Lake
Champlain, the Green Mountains and the city of Burlington, Vermont.
It is a very pleasant area to spend a summer and offers many
different recreational activities such as hiking, horseback riding,
sailing and swimming. Burlington is a fun town full of festivals and
music during the summer.

For more information contact: Richard Kerschner 802-985-3346 x 361
or Valerie Hunt, 802-985-3346 x 354 or send a letter of interest
summarizing relevant experience and a resume by April 4th to:

    Richard Kerschner
    Conservation Department
    Shelburne Museum
    P.O. Box 10
    Shelburne, VT 05482
    Shelcon<-a t->together< . >net

We will notify applicants by April 11th.

Richard L. Kerschner

                  Distributed: Friday, March 14, 1997