Subject: Conservation audit

Conservation audit

From: Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 1997
This question came out on Museum-L.  Thought it appropriate for the
conservation community to discuss.  I will forward answers to
Museum-L.

    Date: 12 Mar 97
    From: R.A. Reynolds <R.A.Reynolds<-a t->SHEFFIELD< . >AC< . >UK>
    To:    museum-l<-a t->home< . >ease< . >lsoft< . >com

    I am writing on behalf of a colleague - Alison Walster.

        Sheffield City Museum is about to undertake a Condition Report
        of its Archaeological, Ethnographic and Numismatic collections.
        There are about half a million objects in these collections. The
        findings of this Conservation Audit will inform a new
        Conservation Policy for the museum. Can anyone recommend a
        sampling method as it will be impossible to check all the
        objects? Articles by Suzanne Keene have been helpful but
        comments or anecdotes from the list about experiences of
        condition checking and sampling would be greatly appreciated.

        Can anyone suggest a useful source for guidelines on writing
        conservation policies?

        Many thanks in advance.

        Rachel Reynolds
        R.A.Reynolds<-a t->sheffield< . >ac< . >uk

    Alison Walster,
    Archaeological Conservator,
    Sheffield City Museum,
    Weston Park,