Subject: Moisture meters

Moisture meters

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 1997
Jeanne Drewes <jdrewes<-a t->jhu< . >edu> writes

>I am looking for a moisture meter with probe to test the moisture of
>books.  Can anyone recommend a good brand, model?

Designed for the building profession the Sovereign Moisture meter
has over the years been adapted for use in archive and photographic
conservation where its ultra sonic head provides for measurement of
moisture with the minimum of surface contact.

A number of archives here in the UK have used the Sovereign to
assist with risk assessment of material coming into the archive
environment from external stores and sources. Meanwhile some
photographic conservators here have found this ultra sonic measuring
device most useful when evaluating whether a substrate has dried
sufficiently or not prior to further treatments.

The Sovereign incorporates two measuring devices, a pair of external
pins (like those on a Protimeter) help detection of the moisture
content in walls and hardened structures whilst the flat ultra-sonic
base probe provides conventional measurement.

The Sovereign moisture meter also includes an audible warning,which
thankfully can be turned to silent mode.

In the US the Sovereign Moisture meter is available from
Conservation Resources LLC, 8000H Forbes Place Springfield, Virginia
22151. Here in Europe we distribute the device.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd

                  Distributed: Friday, March 14, 1997