Subject: Exhibition of posters

Exhibition of posters

From: Sandra Lawrence <sandra_lawrence<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 1997
Robien van Gulik <teyler<-a t->euronet< . >nl> writes

>I would be very grateful if anyone could give me ideas about the
>(temporary) mounting of posters for an exhibition. The posters are
>on loan from a private collector, therefore we would like to try to
>exhibit them (if possible) without using glue.

Ralph Ingleton at the Art Gallery of Ontario has mounted posters for
several exhibitions here. To avoid the problems caused by aqueous
adhesives Ralph uses "Gudy O" adhesive applied to Japanese paper
hinges.  Various weights and colours of Japanese paper can be used
depending on the weight of the poster, although white is best for
any thin papers.  No heat is required to activate the adhesive.
"Feathering" the edges of the hinges is optional, again depending on
the weight and thickness of the poster support.  The posters are
float-mounted with standard folding hinges. To remove the hinges use
slight heat from a tacking iron and the hinges can be easily pulled
off.  There is virtually no residue, although any that does remain
can be "rolled off" by gentle rubbing with a finger.  This mounting
system is used for temporary exhibitions only, although after one
year (for a circulating exhibition) Ralph says there was no sign of
discoloration and no problem in removal.

Gudy-O (actually gudy 870) originates with NESCHEN in Germany.  In
Canada we purchase it through Interlam in Brampton, Ontario.  It is
available in different format, but Ralph advises the 24 inch wide
roll to ensure adequate strength. The film can be cut to whatever
size is required.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 11, 1997