Subject: Tintypes

Tintypes

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Sunday, March 9, 1997
Anne Lane <alane<-a t->InfoAve< . >Net> writes

>A friend has asked for any information on the care and feeding of
>tintypes.

Your question on "the care and feeding of tintypes" is a most difficult
one to answer.  We often receive these objects for treatment in a range of
deteriorated conditions, often the victims of attempts by owners (past and
present) to repair damage--bent corners, rust, scratches, cleaning fluids
which have removed surface features, etc.  About 10 years ago we initiated
experiments aimed at finding durable treatment modalities for these objects.
 Our research is still underway.  If you would like to address specific
problems to me by email I will share what we have learned that might be
appropriate.  In general, the less done the better.  Surface cleaning with a
soft brush seems harmless, but a careful examination is necessary to make
sure cracks in the coating will dislodge.  Proper storage in 55 Rh and low
temperature 55-70 F are the best advice at present.  Klaus Hendriks offers
some general ideas in his 1992 publication and Debbie Hess Norris mentions
tintypes in Caring for Your Collections (1992).  But we are often faced with
multiple problems: the paper or other  cover, the adhesive, the metal
support, the emulsion and the coating.  All have individual problems but each
can affect treatment of the other components.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 11, 1997