Subject: Corrugated plastic boxes

Corrugated plastic boxes

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe<-a>
Date: Friday, March 7, 1997
Gill Comerford <g.comerford<-a t->nhm< . >ac< . >uk>
writes

>Can anyone give me information on how to build corrugated plastic
>boxes...
>The company says... I need a special tool kit and compressed air.
>Well, I have compressed air but I am not convinced that to pop
>a few rivets through a couple of sheets of plastic that I need
>special tools. Any thoughts?

We make our textile storage boxes without rivets or fasteners--they
are cleverly die-cut sheets that fold into boxes.  Of course, having
boxes made for you only makes economic sense when you use a single
size, but the savings in labour could be enormous if you are making
lots of boxes. Be sure you explore this option!

Polypropylene sheets can be tough to work with--it can be difficult
to cut and crease- a power tool may make more sense than a hammer
and rivet setting dies! And if the rivets aren't as small as pop
rivets, holes will have to be cut, etc.  Find a box-maker/
"convertor" (not just a supplier of ready made boxes), and get a
quote... you will be paying for a cutting die (about $150-$300, set
up & labour ($200 +), and the plastic material itself.)  Hope this
helps.

If you do have a quantity to order, or if there is any interest in
providing one or two sizes of box for the community at large, please
let me know (directly). (We presently have a 36 X 236 X 6 inch
lidded box available.)

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems Inc. &
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation