Subject: Packing wet books

Packing wet books

From: Cathy Atwood <catwood<-a>
Date: Monday, March 10, 1997
The Mississippi County courthouse was burned recently, so I've had
reason to talk with a number of vendors about salvage of water
damaged books and papers.  All the vendors I called were very
helpful in explaining their process and how materials needed to be
prepared for drying.  (One vendor who came on-site, without
invitation, was not such a good experience.)  Hilary Kaplan is
correct in saying that you need this information before the disaster
occurs.  You want to know how they handle large books, if they
require the use of plastic cartons, can they process cardboard boxes
of files (with/without plastic liners), etc.

My general conclusion about packing wet books and files is to have
Rescubes on hand for small emergencies.  If there is a large
disaster and it is known that funds for drying are available, the
vendor who is doing the drying might also be supplying the truckload
of milk crates or other preferred containers.  If there is a large
disaster without known funding, hope for the best!

Cathy Atwood
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 11, 1997