Subject: Dictionaries

Dictionaries

From: Donald Farren <dfarren<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 6, 1997
Barbara Hamann is "interested in finding out whether an
Italian/English or Spanish/English dictionary of conservation terms
has been published and where it might be purchased."

While not exactly what was inquired about, there is:

    ICA 1985.  Glossary of Archive Conservation Terms: English, with
    Equivalents in Spanish, German, Italian, and French ([Paris]:
    Committee on Conservation and Restoration, International Council
    on Archives, 1985). [3], 112 l.

        Both a dictionary, with definitions in English, and a
        multi-lingual; glossary, supplying the equivalents of the
        English headwords in Spanish, German, Italian, and French.

also:

    Kneep 1992.  Kneep en binding : een terminologie voor de
    beschrijving van de constructies van oude boekbanden / voor het
    Belgisch-Nederlands Bandengenootschap samengesteld door W.K.
    Gnirrep, J.P. Gumbert, J.A. Szirmai. -- Den Haag : Koninklijke
    Biblio-theek, 1992.  126 p. : ill.; 30 cm.

        Some English, French and German equivalents are provided.
        Includes indexes in English, Dutch, French and German.
        Includes bibliographical references (p. 101-107).

I mention incidentally that if anyone is really keen on the subject
of glossaries, I can send them (or if the response is numerous
enough offer to Walter Henry to post) a list of Glossaries of
Bookbinding Terms (not conservation terms per se) that I have
compiled.  My list includes general glossaries, such as Glaister,
and glossaries from cognate fields, such as book collecting and
bookselling, that include bookbinding terms.  The list is organized
by languages--English, French, Spanish, and multi-lingual. There are
some two dozen works on the list.

Donald Farren
4009 Bradley Lane, Chevy Chase, MD 20815
301-951-9479
Fax: 301-951-9479

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 11, 1997