Subject: Preservation of newspapers

Preservation of newspapers

From: James E. Burd <burd<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 1997
Michael Maggen <maggen<-a t->netvision< . >net< . >il> writes

>I agree with James E. Burd that deacidification prolongs the life of
>acidic and ligneous paper material. However, it should be said that
>the commercial deacidification sprays (aqueous and alcohol base) are
>known to darken rich ligneous paper. The alternative safe
>deacidification treatment would be the "DEZ" method. I don't know if
>the Library of Congress are offering the public this services, but
>as James suggested this question should be address to the Library of
>Congress.

It is true that some nonaqueous deacidification materials which are
solvent based have shown an immediate and sustained darkening of
paper with high lignin content.  However, testing by the Library of
Congress has shown that the Bookkeeper deacidification process, like
the DEZ process (which is no longer commercially available), does
not cause an immediate darkening of such materials and does not
accelerate the natural darkening which can occur.  Bookkeeper
materials can be applied in mass deacidification applications, or by
spraying individual items.

Jim Burd
Preservation Technologies, Inc.

                  Distributed: Thursday, March 6, 1997