Subject: FM 200

FM 200

From: Shirley Ellis <texlab<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 4, 1997
In planning a move to a renovated building we are looking to install
a new fire suppression system.  Has anyone had any experience or
knowledge of some of the alternative gases available on the
market--specifically FM 200?  This gas is a 1,1,12,3,3,3
Heptafluoropropane (its current formula is absent the iodine, as was
noted in a 1994 Technology & Conservation article).  I have been
assured by the sales rep and product literature that it leaves no
residues, or acidic or toxic byproducts.  It is stored under low
pressure at 21 deg C (70 deg F) being 4.04 bar (58.8 psia).  Only 2
large cylinders at 400 lbs each would be required for our space of
800 cubic metres (28,264 cubic ft).  FM 200 is also considered safe
for human occupied spaces.

I welcome comments regarding this gas or any others that are
currently available.  Thanks.

Shirley Ellis
Textile Conservation Service
Dept. of Human Ecology, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2M8  Canada
403-492-7678
Fax: 403-492-4821

                  Distributed: Thursday, March 6, 1997