Subject: Exhibition of posters

Exhibition of posters

From: Robien van Gulik <teyler<-a>
Date: Monday, March 3, 1997
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me ideas about the
(temporary) mounting of posters for an exhibition. The posters are
on loan from a private collector, therefore we would like to try to
exhibit them (if possible) without using glue. The (ca. 80) posters
date from the 1870's to the 1920's and most of them are 70 x 90 cm.
Some, however, are built up from two, three or even nine of these
sheets.

We have previous experience with exhibition of posters from the same
collection, when we mounted them with Japanese strips that were
attached with methylcellulose. This caused swelling on the place of
attachment, and the strips were very difficult to remove afterwards,
due to the softness of the paper of the posters. The use of Melinex
strips is looked upon as ugly because the posters are very floppy,
so one would need a grid of strips to keep the paper in check. The
exhibition is held in a museum and this method is considered as
disrespectful towards the artistic design of the posters.

Any idea or advice is very much welcome,

Robien van Gulik
Head of Paperconservation
Teylers Museum
Spaarne 16