Subject: Mat cutting and repetitive stress

Mat cutting and repetitive stress

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Friday, February 28, 1997
At the Canadian Centre for Architecture our collections and
exhibitions consist almost entirely of works of art on paper.  We
have an extremely demanding exhibition schedule, with no permanent
or long-term exhibitions. Almost everything that is exhibited is
matted and framed, and we do not use standard mat sizes--every mat
is custom-sized.  As a result, in preparation for exhibitions our
conservation/preservation technicians have to cut great numbers of
mats, many of them oversize or with multiple windows, for weeks at a
time.  There is little time for the technicians to vary their work
during these intense periods of mat cutting.

I am concerned that the repetitive motion, physical discomfort and
stress involved in this work may lead to injury or disability.  I
would like to hear from any institution which has experienced this
problem, or anyone who would like to comment on it or suggest
solutions.  Have other museums found that implementing standard mat
and frame sizes works well and reduces the work load? Do they resort
to sending objects out for matting rather than doing everything
in-house as we do?  Can anyone recommend a mat-cutting system which
is easier on the body and more efficient than the table-mounted
Fletcher 2100 mat-cutter we now use?  Do commercial matters and
framers suffer this problem, or is the"non-conservation quality"
they use mat board softer and easier to cut?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture

                   Distributed: Monday, March 3, 1997