Subject: Lava lamps

Lava lamps

From: Catherine Millikan <ngvcons<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 1997
Lava-lamp lovers, what do you do when the lava just won't erupt
anymore and the lava becomes exhausted ?

We have an original 1970's rocket shaped lava lamp (aka. TV lamp) in
need of a new filling of the very special solution which heats,
rises, sinks and then heats again (to be viewed from the comfort of
your bean bag) .

The orange dyed wax (which seems to be paraffin) has become milky
and the remnant of liquid has the odour of white spirits.  Although
these lamps are being manufactured again now, the formula is a
secret I can't crack.  Wax manufacturers and chemists I have spoken
to say the constant heating of the wax in its immiscible solvent
will cause it to eventually break down. The wax would have to be
less dense than the solvent so it would rise ....

Any clues would be greatly appreciated,

Catherine Millikan
Conservator of Objects
Conservation Department
National Gallery of Victoria
180 St Kilda Rd
Melbourne  Vic  3004
Australia
+61 3 9208.0348
Fax: +61 3 9208.0249

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 26, 1997