Subject: Terra verde

Terra verde

From: Anthony D. Ayers <raphaelmad<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 23, 1997
I have been attempting to determine a terminus date for the usage of
terra verde in flesh tones of paintings, yet have been unable to
find any supporting documentation.  It appears that its use
continued for a period after the changeover from tempera to oil
bases, but for how long is the question?  It would appear that a
substantial decline, near terminus, occurs during the first decade
of the sixteenth century.

I have been researching a very early sixteenth century Florentine
panel painting (oil medium, with some isolated touches of tempera)
that has this combination in one of the pigment samples tested
(obviously to "kill" the color).  Some like to date it to the first
decade of the sixteenth century (as do I), yet others like to go to
the third decade.  The only thing that might help clarify the dating
is the presence of this application of terra verde, although I doubt
even that will be able to definitively determine the date. Obviously
terra verde remained in use, yet this application does seem to have
experienced a precipitous decline in the first decade of the
sixteenth century (probably related to the changeover from tempera
to oil), with the exception of rather isolated retro usages.

An answer to this question could be quite valuable to historians,
given that the palette within the timeframe was rather limited and
stable, and often not helpful in dating.  Considering the importance
of the timeframe, any additional assistance in dating would be
enthusiastically received by Renaissance historians.

Any, and all, questions and comments would be appreciated.

Anthony "Tony" Ayers
Independent Scholar

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 26, 1997