Subject: Carousel horse

Carousel horse

From: Ian Gale-Sinex <igs<-a>
Date: Monday, February 24, 1997
Jenny Dickens <jenny.dickens<-a t->dpd< . >vic< . >gov< . >au> writes

>I am looking at proposals for the treatment of carousel horses and
>would like to hear from anyone who may have had experience in this
>area.

I can't say I've had experience with carousel horses, but perhaps I
can direct you to someone who has.  The Circus World Museum is
located in Baraboo, WI.  It was once the headquarters for the Barnum
and Bailey Show, and it still houses some of the most amazing circus
wagons I've ever seen (each year I'm treated to the circus train
passing by my studio in July on it's way to Milwaukee).  There is,
at the moment, no ongoing work on the carousel horses in progress.
However, there is a shop devoted to the restoration of the wagons. I
suspect that some of the treatments used in the conservation of the
fanciful figures on the wagons might be useful in treating your
horses.

The general number for the museum is 1-608-266-7970.  Ask to speak
with Fred or Bill in the library and research department, or email
me with questions that I could forward for you.  Good luck.

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 26, 1997