Subject: Waxes for outdoor bronzes

Waxes for outdoor bronzes

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp<-a>
Date: Friday, February 21, 1997
Regarding the post of Lynda Zycherman, Feb. 19, 1997, and the prior
query from Sandra Lougheed about "Waxes for Outdoor Bronzes":

The wax formulas selected (or made) for outdoor bronzes should take
into consideration the ambient climate. For example, if the bronze
is in a hot climate, use a more heat-resistant formula.

Also, the original patina of the bronze, if still present, should
first be checked to be sure it is not itself a wax-based patina. If
it is, use a wax emulsion (and less vigorous application techniques)
instead of a wax-with-solvent mix. (For several years - until the
owner moved away - I protected an outdoor Max Ernst bronze having
original opaque black-wax patina by annually washing it and applying
a wax emulsion that I made myself.) Tip: Try to identify and obtain
an acceptable commercially-available wax emulsion, because making
your own emulsion is difficult.

Jean D. Portell
13 Garden Place, Brooklyn, NY 11201

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 26, 1997