Subject: Preservation of newspapers

Preservation of newspapers

From: Michael Maggen <maggen<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 20, 1997
Shirley Shepherd <shirley.shepherd<-a t->dwnmus< . >magnt< . >nt< . >gov< . >au> writes:

>We have had a query from a client who has some old newspapers which
>she would like to display in frames. However they have already
>started to deteriorate. Is there a treatment available which will
>preserve the newspapers and prevent further deterioration?

I believe we all wish we would have that magic solution for
preventing from paper to deteriorate as it is proposed above, I am
afraid your client would have to accept the simple facts that if the
old newspapers are going to be displayed for long terms they would
not last very long. Except for monitoring the display area's
humidity, temperature and light, to reduce the damage to the paper,
you should consider encouraging your client to use photo
reproductions of a good quality for display instead of "sacrificing"
the originals.

Michael Maggen
Senior paper conservator
The Israel Museum Jerusalem

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 1997