Subject: Dust jackets

Dust jackets

From: Cathy Atwood <catwood<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997
Deborah Rohan <county.records.cambridge<-a t->camcnty< . >gov< . >uk> writes

>I have been asked what is the best way to protect paper dust jackets
>on a collection of 20th century books. The owner wishes to keep the
>dust jackets visible on his shelves

There are official "book jacket covers" sold by library suppliers.
My favorite is the Durafold sold by Demco.  I have used them since
the 1970's, with only one short period when Demco used the wrong
plastic.  The Durafold is 1.5 mil polyester film *without* a paper
backing.  It comes in 6 heights, and is available in "longs" and
"extra-longs."  If the dust jacket is already torn, you can use a
cover that is extra high and fold it over to provide additional
protection (usually there is 1-2 inches of foldover at the top and
bottom of the dust jacket).

Cathy Atwood
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 1997