Subject: Dust jackets

Dust jackets

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997
Deborah Rohan <county.records.cambridge<-a t->camcnty< . >gov< . >uk> asked:

>I have been asked what is the best way to protect paper dust jackets
>on a collection of 20th century books.

For years we have made snug-fitting custom sleeves out of
Polyester/Mylar, although Melinex is technically considered an
equivalent material. Many vendors of mylar also sell UV-inhibiting
products. In terms of protection vs. flexibility, we have found that
the 3 mil Polyester for most octavo size books offers the perfect
balance. For this type of housing, and for other reasons, I would
not recommend either polyethylene or polypropylene. For
specifications on constructing mylar sleeves or vendors of this
product, write me directly.

George Leake
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
UT Austin

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 1997