Subject: Preserving bricks

Preserving bricks

From: Jonathan S. Farley <j.s.farley<-a>
Date: Friday, February 14, 1997
I would like to extend my thanks to all who have sent me info on
conserving my brick.

There is certainly a white deposit at the base of the brick. The
chemistry department on campus have taken a sample to identify for
me.

I have also heard from an architectural conservator in Manchester
who would like to have a look. Although I'm keen to conserve the
brick myself, I am not going to do anything until I have seen him.

Lastly, yes 221b did and does exist, but its never been a
residential site. It has been the home of the Abbey National
Building Society since the 1920s, and even today they still receive
thousands of letters addressed to Mr Holmes. Regards,

Jonathan Farley

                Distributed: Tuesday, February 18, 1997