Subject: Deterioration of UV filters

Deterioration of UV filters

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 13, 1997
On the question of the deterioration of the UV-filtering power of various
UV shields, does anyone have data--either from laboratory measurements or
from measurements in use--related to UV transmittance?  Since many of
the plastic carrier materials yellow with age and therefore absorb more at
the blue end of the spectrum, I understood that UV transmittance can
increase rather than decrease.  A previous search for data got me some
data from a manufacturer of, I think, the Plexiglas version, which showed
only very minor changes over several years of exposure to full sunlight.
I would appreciate any hard data on this subject.

B. Appelbaum

                Distributed: Thursday, February 13, 1997