Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Margaret Perkins <mperkins<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 12, 1997
Bob Muens asks for ways to prevent the growth of mould on books etc
in the tropics. When I lived in Papua New Guinea we had a system
which worked well for shoes and clothes. Each cupboard and wardrobe
had an internal light fitting near the bottom and a light was kept
on at all times. It only required a 20 watt globe and the heat
generated was just enough to lower the RH inside to the point where
the mould could not grow. Perhaps the idea could be adapted for book
storage.

Margaret Perkins
Museum of Victoria
Australia

                Distributed: Thursday, February 13, 1997