Subject: Packing wet books

Packing wet books

From: Kirk Lively <drsinc<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 13, 1997
Linda A. Cranston <lcransto<-a t->longwood< . >lwc< . >edu> writes

>Many discount-type
>stores carry stackable plastic crates.  The price difference between
>the polyethylene cartons and the plastic stackable crates is
>significant (and storage space is not a problem). My questions are
>about the plastic crates.  Are they equivalent to "milk crates?" But
>more importantly, when subjected to the low temperatures of freeze
>drying, will they shatter?

Milk crates can be used for packing wet items, but there are several
problems with their use that should be considered.  Since milk
crates have no lids it is very easy to spill the contents during
movement of the items.  If inventory information needs to be
attached to the container it must be done with tape, string, etc....
In the event that there are a large number of items to pack and
freeze, milk crates do not lend themselves to being easily stacked,
palletized, and moved by forklift without falling :>).  Finally,
milk crates take up a relatively large amount of storage space.

A very economical and practical solution is to put a trash can liner
inside a standard corrugated box, put the wet items into the lined
box, and seal the box with packing tape.  Storage space is minimal,
the boxes are cheaper, the contents are more secure, they are easily
palletized, and inventory information can be written on the outside
of the box with a permanent marker.  If the items are to be
freeze-dried, the trash can liner is removed after the items are
frozen, but before they go into the chamber.

Kirk Lively
Disaster Recovery Services
414 Blue Smoke Ct. W.
Fort Worth, TX  76105

                Distributed: Thursday, February 13, 1997