Subject: Flattening parchment

Flattening parchment

From: Beth Schobernd <beth.mlbmhs<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 6, 1997
We have in our University archives the parchment diploma of one of
our founding fathers.  It has been tightly rolled for decades.  The
University administration would like to have the diploma unrolled
for display at our upcoming Founders' Day celebration.  My first
inclination is to humidify the roll in the standard, low-tech,
plastic bowl within a plastic ice cream container kind of
humidification chamber.  Can I safely do that?  Is there a better
option?

Beth Schobernd
Preservation Librarian
Illinois State University