Subject: Energy saving and environmental control

Energy saving and environmental control

From: Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a>
Date: Monday, February 10, 1997
Todd Ellison <ellison_t<-a t->fortlewis< . >edu> writes

>How can one plan for energy savings in the climate controlled areas
>of a new museum/archives/library?  I'm aware of the last two years'
>debate about whether the temperature and RH must be kept within
>tight bounds; but assuming that one comes down on the side of not
>letting the environmental conditions vary much, what can be built
>into a structure to keep the utility costs from becoming exorbitant?

One reference that I have found particularly helpful is Museums
Environment Energy edited by May Cassar a Museums & Galleries
Commission book, published by HMSO, 1994 (ISBN 0 11 290519 6).

Another book, this time authored by May Cassar is Environmental
Management: guidelines for Museums and Galleries (ISBN 0 415 10559
5), 1994.  Routledge.

The second book is available through the AAM Bookstore

    American Association of Museums
    Department 4002
    Washington, DC 20042-4002
    202-289-9127
    Fax: 202-289-6578

The first may also be available through AAM, but I believe I
purchased it from Jim Black at Archetype Books (31-34 Gordon Square,
London, WC1H 0PY, U.K.).  Jim often comes to the US for the AIC
Meetings with lots of terrific books.  Try him for this book.

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.
210 Little Falls St. Suite 203