Subject: Software for paintings conservation

Software for paintings conservation

From: Ioannis Pitas <pitas<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 1997
I would like to inform you on our recent projects and work
performed for digital image processing techniques in
painting conservation (case study: Byzantine icons).
These projects were funded by national and EU sources
and were performed in cooperation with Mt Athos monasteries.
See URL:http://poseidon.csd.auth.gr/athos/>.

A spin-off of these projects was a number of software packages on
arts conservation and archiving that were produced through our
involvement in these R&D projects:

    1.  EIKONA FOR ARTS that complements our earlier software EIKONA
        FOR WINDOWS. It includes

        colorimetry
        mosaicing (color and BW) manual or automatic
        registration (e.g. IR, visible)
        copyright protection.

        The software runs on any X Windows UNIX workstation as well
        as on MS Windows +Pentium platforms.

    2.  EIKONA FOR ARTS/CAPTURE unit that controls automatically a
        positioning unit in the range 1 m x 1 m, grabs images, filters
        noise and stores them in files for mosaicing.

    3.  EIKONA FOR ARTS DATABASE

        It is a multimodal image and signal database (visible, X
        ray, IR images, colorimetry measurements, spectrometry
        signals, restoration infos, content infos) written in SQL in
        two platforms: ACCESS and ORACLE (client/ server). The data
        base can be easily accessed through the WWW (although
        limited functionality is supported through WWW). It runs on
        any MS Windows platform. The ORACLE server can reside on a
        Unix Workstation. It can be accessed through any platform
        when using the WWW connection (e.g. MAC, PC, Unix).

    4.  EIKONAmark, a software product for watermarking for
        copyright protection of digital images.

The software has two installation so far in Mt Athos monasteries.
You can get more infos on this software as well as a demo at

    <URL:http://generation.net/~pitas/>.

You can also get a sample database access through WWW at

    <URL:http://aias.csd.auth.gr/eikona/>

I just want to mention you that the server of this database is
occasionally down and you have to try or give notice to me in case
of trouble.

We are at your disposal for more infos on any of these packages.

I. Pitas, Professor
Department of Informatics
University of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki 54006, PO BOX 463
Greece
+30 31 996304
+30 31 996361 (lab)
Fax: +30 31 996304
pitas<-a t->zeus< . >csd< . >auth< . >gr

                Distributed: Thursday, February 6, 1997