Subject: Packing wet books

Packing wet books

From: Linda A. Cranston <lcransto<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 1997
My library is finally in the process of collecting disaster
supplies. Everything I learned about packing wet books indicates
that one can use milk crates or polyethylene cartons in which to
pack wet books in preparation for freeze drying.  Many discount-type
stores carry stackable plastic crates.  The price difference between
the polyethylene cartons and the plastic stackable crates is
significant (and storage space is not a problem). My questions are
about the plastic crates.  Are they equivalent to "milk crates?" But
more importantly, when subjected to the low temperatures of freeze
drying, will they shatter?  Thanks.

Linda Cranston
Longwood College Library
Farmville, Virginia  23909