Subject: Storage of screens and textiles

Storage of screens and textiles

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 1997
Fiona Lawry <ngvcons<-a t->vicnet< . >net< . >au> writes

>I am seeking ideas for storage solutions for 14 Japanese wood/
>lacquer and paper screens some of which are painted in water based
>paints over gold leaf. The average size of the screens is 1740mm x
>660mm x 125mm.

Last year Keepsafe produced a number of large (36" X 36" X 6") boxes
with lids for the costume archives of a ballet company.  The boxes
are made of virgin white polypropylene.  Perhaps something like this
might be a solution. (We do have some stock left from this
production run, as well as our (24" X 36" X 6" or 8") boxes used for
wedding gown preservation.)

The price of this kind of solution is dependent on the quantity
ordered--although the raw materials are not expensive, the die and
tooling costs could be prohibitive if only a few custom-sized boxes
are made.

I have seen a shelving system being sold at a museum trade-show
which consisted of similar boxes and metal racking--I cannot find
the name of this company. Please contact us directly,

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                 Distributed: Monday, February 3, 1997