Subject: Hygrothermograph placement

Hygrothermograph placement

From: George W. Adams <cunningham-adams<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 2, 1997
On 25 Jan 97, Rick Dzupina asks:

>The purpose is to determine the optimal position for a
>hygrothermograph in a space, so that its "representative climate" is
>more accurately monitored...
>What criteria have conservators in other institutions used to
>position their machines?"

Generally speaking, the most serious damage to artifacts is caused
by the climate extremes.  "Representative climate" is usually not a
good measure of the climate extremes.  We believe that the
appropriate strategy is to determine the types of climate extremes
to which the collection is sensitive, and then monitor the locations
where those extremes are most likely to occur.

George W. Adams
P.E. Cunningham-Adams

                 Distributed: Monday, February 3, 1997