Subject: Fluorescent tubes and UV

Fluorescent tubes and UV

From: Michael T. Stieber <mstieber<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 1997
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and post it here as well

I am head of the library at The Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL, a
suburb of Chicago.  We are about to change all the fluorescent bulbs
in our small display cases.  They currently have fluorescents
designated as Natural light, which our custodians have found are
discontinued by the suppliers they deal with.

Their query is whether to use warm white or cool white with the UV
protective sleeves, which we have.  My question is which bulb, cool
or warm white, would be preferred for the display cases.  Which
produce more heat?  How often should the sleeves be changed.

The custodians are on hold with a supplier of the last lot of
Natural bulbs, but these are evidently more expensive than either of
the other alternatives. Thanks for any help you can
give me,

    **** Moderator's comments:   Michael wrote back adding
    Our chief custodian is in a dither because they sent him 60
    bulbs of the "natural light" type, and he wants to know whether
    he has to send them back.  I can only hope for a quick reply or
    supply depot may be out ca $500.

Michael T. Stieber
Michael Stieber
Administrative and Reference Librarian
Sterling Morton Library

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 29, 1997