Subject: Writing inks

Writing inks

From: Artemis BonaDea <paradux<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 1997
I am writing on behalf of a conservator in private practice who does
not have access to the DistList.

Carol Pratt, a private conservator in Eugene, Oregon has worked on
several items from the Civil War period that contained brown and
blue inks.  The brown ink is in reasonable condition but the blue
ink is considerably faded.  This has been noticed on loose paper as
well as in autograph books that were not subject to light.  Carol
does not believe light is the fading agent in this case and is
interested in learning more about the chemical make up of blue inks
from that time, as well as hearing about treatment options.

If you can provide direct information or know of information that
would be of interest, I will pass the information along.Thanks much,

Artemis BonaDea

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 29, 1997