Subject: Laminating paper and fabric

Laminating paper and fabric

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 1997
Jane Rutherston <janer<-a t->vam< . >ac< . >uk> writes

>I am looking into methods of laminating thin Japanese paper to
>synthetic materials such as very fine 100% polyester and nylon
>fabrics--either woven or non-woven--for use in hinging album leaves
>to conjugate stubs.

and Laszlo Cser <laszlo<-a t->restorart< . >com> responds

>There is a material which would meet all of the above requirements.
>It is BEVA 371 Film of 1.0 mil thickness.

Has Jane Rutherston thought about using the likes of Unsupported
Archibond, a very much thinner transparent adhesive layer than Beva?

Unsupported Archibond is just 18 micron thick compared to the 100
micron thickness (1 mil) of Beva.

Unsupported Archibond is a paraloid adhesive which for ease of
handling is supplied coated to a silicone release paper support.

One does require a higher temperature to apply, 80-90 degrees C but
the adhesive is removable with the likes of acetone or toluene and
will not yellow or become brittle with age.

I will be happy to supply samples to anyone who wants to try some.
In Europe the product has been used extensively to apply its
uniquely thin quality to japanese tissues for paper repair and to
fine cloths for lining purposes.

I am also aware of an instance where a fan restorer used it to apply
a tissue repair to a damaged leaf in order that the fan might be
readily closed without straining the binding.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
Units 1, 2 & 4 Pony Road
Horspath Industrial Estate
Cowley Oxfordshire OX4 2RD
England
+44 1865 747755
Fax: +44 1865 747035

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 29, 1997