Subject: Stabilization of wet wood

Stabilization of wet wood

From: Ralph L. Scott <lbscott<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 1997
Jane D. Ketcham <ketcham<-a t->inwave< . >com> writes

>In previous seasons he has
>uncovered fragments preserved in a wet (not exactly waterlogged)
>state, but was not prepared with any method of stabilization and
>storage pending transfer back to our lab. There is not a conservator
>routinely at the site

You might want to talk to the staff of the North Carolina Division
of Archives and History.  They have "preserved" the wet wood remains
of the Confederate Ram C.S.S. Neuse, outdoors under a metal shed in
Kinston North Carolina. They sprayed the wood with something in the
mid sixties I believe. Their experience with this large artifact
might be useful to you.

Ralph Scott
East Carolina University Library

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 29, 1997