Subject: Stabilization of wet wood

Stabilization of wet wood

From: Jane D. Ketcham <ketcham<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 23, 1997
One of the archeologists in our department has asked for advice in
anticipation of finding wood remains preserved in a rock shelter
site here in southern Wisconsin. In previous seasons he has
uncovered fragments preserved in a wet (not exactly waterlogged)
state, but was not prepared with any method of stabilization and
storage pending transfer back to our lab. There is not a conservator
routinely at the site, so I would like to provide him with enough
information to do the best possible under the circumstances.

I have reviewed the recommendations provided in Cap Sease's
"Conservation Manual for the Field Archaeologist", and Cronyn's
"Elements of Archaeological Conservation", but I am looking for any
additional input from folks with real-life experience with such
things. Suggestions for the most current post-recovery treatment
options would also be welcome. Thanks,

Jane Ketcham, Conservator
Logan Museum of Anthropology
Beloit College