Subject: Cold storage

Cold storage

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 1997
At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we are considering buying a
frost-free refrigerator for the storage of colour photographs, as
described in Henry Wilhelm's The Permanence and Care of Color
Photographs, 1993.  Even though Mr. Wilhelm's chapter on this
subject is exhaustive, we have managed to come up with a few
questions and worries.

Our Security Department, for example, is concerned about the
possibility of a motor burning out one day and causing our Halon
system to go off. (Since Halon cannot be replaced these days, and
since it will be years before we determine a suitable alternative to
our Halon system, this would be a serious problem.)

In addition, we wonder if has anyone has ever experienced damage to
their photos caused by mechanical failure of the refrigerator, or if
all those who use these refrigerators remain satisfied.

Finally, is there anyone who goes to the extra effort (and
inconvenience) of conditioning photos at low RH and sealing them in
vapour-proof envelopes rather than simply placing them in plastic
Ziploc-type bags before refrigerating them?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with the
type of refrigerators Mr. Wilhelm recommends (Kenmore) or who has
any other suggestions regarding self-contained low-temperature units
for storing colour materials. Thank you,

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 22, 1997